What is collagen?
Collagen is one of the most important proteins produced by the human body. It is a structural protein found in skin, bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage – it comprises three quarters of your skin and a third of the protein in your body. Since it makes up so many critical parts of our bodies, collagen is not only beneficial but essential to maintaining good health.
As you age, your existing collagen breaks down; it gets harder for your body to produce more. In fact, your body produces about 1.5% less collagen per year as an adult, and its production can also be inhibited by oxidative stressors such as sunlight.
Collagen is produced naturally in the body by combining amino acids, the building blocks of proteins found in food. To produce collagen, your body needs:
- Proline: found in egg whites, dairy, cabbage, mushrooms, and asparagus
- Glycine: found in pork skin, chicken skin, and gelatine.
- Vitamin C: found in citrus fruits and bell peppers, or in our Vitamin C + Zinc formula.
- Zinc: found in beef, lamb, pork, shellfish, cheese, nuts and seeds, and in our Vitamin C + Zinc formula.
- Copper: found in organ meats, cocoa powder, and in our LifePak Vitamin & Mineral Supplements
Adding extra collagen to your diet can be vital for your skin and body to function ideally.
Oral collagen supplements have been shown to improve skin hydration and elasticity – they also lessen wrinkles. Additionally, studies have shown that daily collagen supplements can make your bones denser, slowing the aging process that makes them brittle and helping your body to produce new bone.
While often found in powdered form, liquid collagen is the preferred method of supplementation because liquid collagen is easier for your body to absorb and digest. Liquid collagen is more stable and has a longer shelf life and is less likely to cause allergic reactions. It has a higher concentration of bioactive collagen peptides.
Collagen peptides are a better way to supplement because they are more digestible, better absorbed, and better distributed throughout your body. Plus, while regular collagen provides the building blocks for your skin, for example, collagen peptides actually stimulate skin to create more collagen. This dual action is vital to supporting healthy skin, and our elite Bioactive Collagen Peptides are the best available.
Because there are so many different collagen supplements out there on the market, are there specific things you should look for when choosing the one that is right for you? Yes! Not all collagen is created equal!
As stated above, the first thing to look for is to make sure you are getting collagen peptides or hydrolyzed collagen in your product instead of regular collagen. The native collagen protein is very large and not as well digested or absorbed as collagen peptides. Collagen peptides are broken down sections of amino acids taken from the larger collagen protein.
Another thing to consider is if the source of collagen peptides has been studied for safety and efficacy at the dose provided in the product. Make sure the collagen supplement you choose is supported by clinical studies. In addition, our product provides a unique blend that delivers more comprehensive benefits than what you get from the collagen peptides alone.
What sets our liquid collagen apart from the rest?
- Bioactive Collagen Peptides — we feature a unique peptide “fingerprint” that is consistently shown to have the highest stimulatory effect of all collagens tested and effectively stimulates collagen and elastin production.
- Lutein – from marigold flowers. Clinically proven to improve skin radiance and protect against oxidative stressors, like blue light. This important carotenoid is not typically found in beauty supplements.
- Phytoceramides – our wheat lipid extract is similar to ceramides naturally found in skin, so it keeps your skin’s moisture barrier healthy and hydrated all day long. The wheat has been processed to allow this food to meet the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requirements for gluten-free foods.
Beauty Focus Collagen+
Beauty Focus Collagen+ is a liquid supplement that is clinically proven to support multiple important areas of skin health. It reduces visible fine lines and wrinkles, maintains normal hydration and moisture levels, and supports collagen and elastin production in the skin.
When taken in conjunction with an ageLOC LumiSpa regimen, Beauty Focus Collagen+ is clinically shown to enhance the visible skin radiance, texture, and overall appearance benefits of the LumiSpa system.